View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 03:43 AM
Registered Kraut

Default Travelling overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
I'd say wheeled, but I'd want to be doing a lot of foot scouting first, and not jeopardizing the transport as much as possible.

In my ongoing campaign (on hiatus during the pandamic) the PCs travelled in wheeled and tracked vehicles. Scouting and short raids were mainly on foot, but the M113 with the mounted grenade launcher was relatively close for indirect fire purposes.
Keeping track of fuel consumption is a nightmare, from my personal point of view.

Using vehicles has some more benefits, not mentioned above:
1. What do you do with wounded (N)PCs? A tracked vehicle like the M113 enables the group to transport wounded members of the group.
2. If you have still some radios or other battery-driven equipment, there is no alternative to vehicles. You have to recharge the batteries. Without a vehicle, this will get nearly impossible.
3. NBC protection.

Some of the considerations depend on the goal and setting of the campaign, obviously. The most stealthy way to go (Pardon the pun) is on food. But the increased protection against small arms fire, indirect artillery and the points I've mentioned above scream for at least some vehicles. The amount of extra bits and additional equipment is really limited without vehicles.

I don't know, if horse-drown vehicles could be an alternative (I hear you, kcdusk!), you still had the problems with batteries and the lack of protection.

Yeah, for the moment I voted for "other", but not fully convinced ...

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012