View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAW0306 View Post
You had a Delta it was just the combat reserve. Same with 2/9..Juliett was banned in 1928 or so when companys went from numbers to names. no company wanted a woman name. thats what I got from the USMC historical division when stationed in the nations capital. we named a attached company Mike in 2009 when we went to IRAQ. it was a mixed reserve company...asked HQ USMC and they gave us the go ahead. it was a big hit with the vietnam guys..... after Vietnam. they canceled the 4th line company and added a weapons company to each battalion. most of the weapons were in other places...IE regimental TOW's and Mortar platoons and Battalion H&S companys for medium AT weapons.
"Juliet" is the alphabet code from after WW2, before that, it would have been "Jig."

As I understand it, the US Army and Marines don't use a J Company (and neither did the British), since it's too easy to mix up I and J when written by hand. And when a battle could turn on an order scribbled in pencil on a sweat-stained message order, it seemed like a good idea.