Thread: Q Ships
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Ah but the generals were following protocol! Tradition my freind. We must preserve order for the sake of order. Right or Wrong be damned!

It is the institution that is at stake after all, and that must not be challenged.

Then again, maybe I have read "Billy Budd" or watched "Paths to Glory" one to many times. Ah, I know, it was my watching "Breaker Morant" last weekend! Thats it.
I agree but that was a century ago and we don't have to go with the dogmas anymore. Moreover, I'm a pragmatic idealist, I understand and accept the weight of reality but I'm always happy when a tiny bit of justice slips into it .

In France everyone knows about "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité" (Freedom, Equality and Franternity) but fewer people know about what should govern our government actions : In the name of the people, for the people and by the people. Politicians worldwide are getting on my nerves but, as a result, I read our constitution (thanks them). However, my position is valid only for France but when I have American friends telling me that they are affraid of their government, I don't like it. (Oops, I'm getting too much in politics again I do a post about that).