View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
With the knowlege and the basic tools of survival anyone can survive. It is the will that is key.
I agree but only up to a point. I've had Army infantry training in Australia and I've been travelling into the Australian outback since I was a child so I'd do allright if I was lost in the bush therefore I agree that training and mindset will help alot. But I have to tell you, vast stretches of the Australian continent contain very, very harsh conditions. I know you have some very gnarly deserts in the USA so you know what I mean but where you have nasty patches or even nasty States, the majority of our continent is arid, semi arid or utterly desolate. All the will in the world will not help you if you are lost in, say, the Great Sandy Desert on foot. Chances are that unless you have been mentored by Australian Aborigines from that area or are an Indigenous Australian yourself, you will die. Australia's desert dwelling Aboriginal tribes have been living in those environments continuously for 40,000 years. Believe me when I say that their survival abilities in the desert are nigh on miraculous.