Thread: Q Ships
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Not all. Just the bastards involved in allowing the pride of the Australian fleet to pull alongside for a routine cargo check of a freighter only to have it suddenly uncover hidden gun turrets and torpedo tubes, run up a German flag and rake the Sydney from end to end. For that war crime yes, I'd kill the whole gwerman crew. And not shed a single tear for them.

And as you well know, "I was just following orders" is not an acceptable defence in a war crimes trial. Is not and should not be. Even in basic training I had sufficient explanations given to me to know an illegal order when I hear it.
I understood it well. And I was not saying that the German put "the following orders" as a defence. In fact the Ally Command obviously considered it to be the case and they went for the true responsible people. A 18-20 years old kid follow orders blindly when properly given by a higher authority and that might be another crime to hold him entirely responsible. I understand your point and, as someone else said, you are right to support your own but you are considering revenge. As an individual that is perfectly respectable but comming from a government (even in war time) it is murder. As we agreed upon some times ago, Australia is a democracy, they have acted as such and i think all Australians should be proud of such things (also, I'm sure you are).