Thread: Currency
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 AM

Default Currency in my campaign

Hi all,
For what it's worth, here's my view on currency.
We've played quite a few campaigns in Poland and most of the time barter was very important, especially if you're not in any sort of regular army.
All sides of the conflict used some sort of "official currency", be it Soviet Rubel, US Dollar, British Pound, German Mark or Polish Zloty, but they were quite useless outside your zone of control. The same goes for coupons issued for meals, petrol etc.
Of course almost all countries had coins, but using money has more of a sentimental value than actual worth. The only coins in use in our games were gold and silver Rubels, Dollars, etc. Basically, precious metals keep their value, mostly because of their rarity.
But, as I said earlier, the main way of trading was barter. First of all, a clip of 5,56mm ammo is worth pretty much the same to everybody. It also gave some players or NPCs opportunity to gat some extremely good deals (at least that's what they thought then), because a can of spam is worth much more to a hungry man than a case of ammo he doesn't have a gun for.
And since most of our games were out of the regular armies, the PCs had to travel between different cantonments and trade whatever they had to spare for anything they might need.
Hope this helps,
Blase