View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
My understanding is that both Civgov and Milgov see themselves as the rightful, legal and only real government of the USA. Therefore, any move away from even symbols of that would be avoided at all costs.

Without the symbols and trappings of the prewar government they are little more than yet another bunch of upstarts trying to forge their own empire. While they use the flag, have the constitution in their posession, declaration of independance, and/or dozens of other items and locations of historical and political significance, they will be viewed by many as legitimate.

The moment they mess with that, they become clowns.
Actually they are clowns but that is not anything like real life. Actually the flag proposed are not really going away from the stars and stripes but they need some way to differenciate themselves.

Then IMO, Civgov and Milgov are the weakest point on the American part of the game. I like them because they are very usefull in game terms but, from what I know and understand of Americans they would be both rejected by the population (IRL). In case of something like an armageddon that would wipe out a large part of the American population, the survivors would refound the USA (much like in the Day After or Supervolcano). Beside being overly touchy Americans have some very strong qualities: among them they stick behind their country. They might reject their governement but they will never do that for the country (except may be in favor of their own state). But even in that case, I expect this to last only as long as needed. I would imagine an independent Utah flying its state flag with the nation's flag on the side. Actually, I would imagine Civgov and Milgov to do the same with their falg on one side and the stars and stripes on the other side (or may be side by side).

Again, this is game material and if both Civgov and Milgov do come to existence they will have a way to differenciate themselves. In that case making a slightly different flag seemed a good option. If you have any other proposal I'll be happy to know. HQ asked an interesting question or so I think.