View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
I meant - why would they have their ships sitting as targets in port? Germany would more than likely sortied there fleet months before and kept them in more secure ports I would think. So many ships sitting in port like that would have been under constant air attack for weeks otherwise.
That's a good point I overlooked. However, they have a good reason to keep ships there as they represent a more direct threat to Warsaw Pact shipping. However, you are right that the number of destroyed ships should be cut at least in half. The other being in patrol and probably destroyed at another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Another way to look at France is that they did not want German unification. So they the book might not be so far fetched. Some in France (Mitterrand especially) strongly opposed unification... mostly fearing it would hasten the USSR's downfall and instability. He backed down mostly because he didn't feel Gorbachev was reliable to hold the coarse. Kremlin minutes also show that he even considered a military alliance of sorts with the Soviets as a result. Even if the likelihood of that happening is not probable, it does lean in favor of the game's timeline events of France not supporting the Germans. But I guess this is a different topic and not related to navies.
Still disagree with you. First because France, or at least the French, didn't fear the unification process and were truly happy about the fall of the wall. And public opinion is something you have to take into account in this country. Second, whatever the timeline, Mitterrand is dead meat and burried. Anyway, by 1995, he is not our president anymore and he is replaced by Chirac who put Franco-German collaboration above all else. Last and most important if I don't get France involved, I would simply have to take that game away and throw it to the trash. Sorry, but I never felt like playing a US soldier lost in Germany and I wouldn't have a chance to ge"t anyone around to play. Nothing against US soldiers but I simply wouldn't be realistic as I stand up for the Marseillaise (eventually the Brabançonne) not for the US anthem. As a result, my character while I was in US was a Belgian guy going by the name Joan van Horn speaking French, Flemmish and English. He was a former member of the red devils and a Belgian mercenary lost in the united states and looking for a way to get back to old Europe.