View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Although obviously written for your own background, it's a damn fine peice of writing with a lot of good hard thought gone into it.
Of course as I stated already but thanks I appreciate. It might help in regular timelines, however, or so I hope as it's starting point remain the few statements found in Cannon (they hammer each other for three weeks, two fleets shattered, locations...). I always found a pity that the orginal team never bother writing a more detail account on the way to the war.

Quote:
In your timeline when were nukes first used? I imagine not for a while after this engagement...
The engagement takes place in 2000 with the second battle in 2001 and the nukes start to fall in 2003 with reaching full scale in early 2004. (good guess)

Quote:
Once nukes were an option, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be used against enemy shipping, especially the larger capital ships such as carriers and cruisers (not sure if there are any battleships left). This gives SSBNs a much greater military importance than if they'd been left to attack land targets.
A nuke used at sea might be seen by the general population of the world as more acceptable than one attacking the land - I would think less fallout (perhaps just the perception of less), no immediate damage against cities, etc. Basically, although they're certain to screw up the ecosystem no end, politically they'd be more palatable.
Both good points and I hesitated fairly long to use nukes at sea earlier. I finally chose not to but that's only a matter of choice. That also explain why the Soviets use a fair part of their SSBN in an attack role (without missiles), something they are not well suited for. Actually, almost all SSBN used like this are destroyed but they do their part nevertheless, keeping the anti-sub forces of NATO over working and allowing for other SSBN to slip through (these onces fully loaded with missiles ). There is no solid ground for this but that's war and you never know what your ennemy will come up with.