Thread: NPC generation
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 02:03 AM

Default NPC generation

Okay, so the question of the day is NPC generation.

Trying to get some other stuff built up before my gaming session comes together. Trying to build a stable of both stock and "story" NPCs. Wanted to ask what is everyone's favorite way to go about it for both?

I am going to be using V2.0 rules, but have all three major rule sets (V1, V2.0, V2.2). There isn't much change between NPC generation between the two major version. At least for the idea of stock character generation. Draw two cards from a standard deck of cards. Then pick if they a novice, experienced, veteran, or elite status. Assign some basic stats and skills in to sort of fill in for what their stock role will allow. As the book says, the easiest way is a 3x5 tabbed note card and just draw as required to have my players face. That is some fun for an hour of just creating everything from the generic faceless goons, to the random shop keep, doctor, vagabond, etc that I sort of expect my players to run across. These all are disposable and can easily be recycled fast.

Rather its the "story" NPCs are the ones with the names and they are the plot points. It is here where I am getting stuck and wish that GDW has some speedier way to create some of these sort of folks in the game. What I am looking for is a way to create one of these larger and maybe recurring characters that has more than just some basic combat skills or basic level attributes.

The only way of the top of my head is to actually roll through character creation, but instead of letting randomness of the dice pick out some of the skills and life choices is make these choices myself.
To explain that better, say I want a town leader who maybe has a honorable but greedy motivation is high in the charismatic skills like persuasions and leadership but low in say farming or even combat skills, has attributes all over the place.
So I would just be picking off the charts and building the character that way.

Or would it be better just to roll up some characters like I would as if they were going to be characters I would actually play, but try and make them to become NPCs instead. So try and roll up an espionage themed agent to say represent a CIA/DIA/KGB NPC that will be a thorn on the side of the players for part of my campaign? See where my dice lead me and file them away for later use.

What says the crowd? What have your experiences been in this situation as a GM?