View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 07:38 AM

Default The General has his sleep interrupted but gets to make a field trip

LA ,July 10th 0325hrs Temperature : 22 C*

Eyes still hurting from the even the subdued emergency lighting in the corridors in his Library Tower -the General hurried angrily down towards the ops room." damn them for interupting " he snarled at the expressionless faces of his bodyguards as they marched ahead and behind him to safeguard his progress."Dont they know what kind of pressure I am under ? Do they have any idea how hard it is to sleep when the fate of everything rests on your shoulders ?" This last sentence he rasped out in an ever increasing volume ending with a high pitched ,angry yell.The sound of the boots of guards snapping to attention all over the floor -startled by his voice made him chuckle. The fear he instilled in his men still made getting up from the first night he had slept well in years kind of worth it .He entered the guarded operations room and a young lieutenant snapped to attention .

"SIR-GENERAL -SIR!" The lieutenant gave him the transcript of and nodded to his radio operator who began playing the recorded message for him .At first just radio noise and distant morsecode signals from desperate ,isolated groups that he couldnt care less about but then a pretty cleare jingle and presentors voice : This Radio America! Freedom is at hand! Rid your self of the impostors and warlords that have assumed governance of our nation!Throw the false General pain from the roof of his beloved library tower ,where he and his croonies sit with the stockpiles of emergency rations that were meant for everyone in this hour of need!

"This is the 5 itiration Sir!"

A popular song seamlessly merged and took over with repeating message " On a lost desert highway..cool wind in my hair.."

Someone who knew their way around a mixing table or a computer were doing this.

"Who is broadcasting this ?" the General demanded.

"we dont know Sir!We only have an approximate location but it would appear that some sort of improvised broadcasting equipment is set ut around 10 miles north of here " The lieutenant looked uncomfortably at the wall still standing at attention.

"Very well" the General finally said after his silence and grim stare at all the present company had lasted almost a full minute ,and finally breaking the thick suspense ." I want that radio shut down and everyone who works there interrogated and then hanged from its antenna mast as notice to the rest of the people up there.Salvage what you can though."

A nervous corporal at the door snapped to attention and handed him another message .He dismissed him and quickly skimmed the the little note .Over 100 people had gathered at the recruiting station for their rations already..

"Soon..soon".. his thoughts wandered to the image of a vast army marching forth under his banner - conquering all in its path .After all- who else was there to give them food and medical attention other than his people ? They would either march under his articles or die by their own in the ruins.

He yawned and stretched .There would be no going back to sleep now .

"Seargent! Get my armour and kit - I want to take a little field trip. there is a radio anchor man who shall have an exclusive to die for. Dont forget the rope ".

Last edited by headquarters; 02-03-2009 at 11:52 AM.