View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 08:35 PM

I don't have any empirical evidence to back what I'm about to say, but my feeling is that for new versions of T2K in the current tabletop RPG gaming environment, most writers on new rules sets will err on the side of simplicity. The brutal truth is unless it's a labour of love, the idea is to achieve some level of profit, and if there is no profit a new system will be dead in the water, with few or no supplements coming after the initial release.

I say err on the side of simplicity because on the rools-lite to crunchy spectrum, there is an element of personal taste as well as an element of what the user can actually cope with. People who don't cope well with even basic maths and/or tricky rules concepts won't play a complicated game because they're simply not capable of it. People who are capable of it will play whatever attracts them. So complicated rules systems are going to tend to do less well in the broader TTRPG market, because as well as contending with personal tastes, their complicated nature is a genuine barrier to entry.

I have no beef with people who like cinematic, free-flowing gaming and feel that rools-lite delivers that for them. I do think it's a shame that simpler rules systems has been the trend for quite some time now in part due to the reasons I've outlined above.