View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Australia was never going to buy them. There simply wasn't the money available with interest rates here so high at the time (something like 20% and a recession).
There wasn't even enough money to pay for blank ammunition for training the units we did have!
I remember those days... the dark times... where we had to keep accounts of kilometres travelled for every vehicle so they could decide when we were allowed to have new tyres or track links, the times where as a Reservist we had to take our own food on weekend training because there was no budget to cater for meals while out bush.
It was at that time that I seriously considered leaving the ARes. The few things that kept me in was my mates in the unit, the high quality of officers the unit had at the time and a training WO who would drive the 600 klicks to Perth to secure needed equipment for the training weekends from a "certain" regiment the unit had a good working relationship with (they used our base for their desert, demo and car commander's training courses)

But I digress...
I agree that Australia did not have the money for anything extra let alone a new fighter type for the air force. However for the T2k world, I think it's something that can be worked around if there's a third world war looming, but to each their own.