View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Cthulhu is my pointman

Talking FNG...

Another FNG here lads! Couldn't resist making my first post here!

I'm a weekend warrior, student by day and in the Irish Reserve Defence Forces as part of the Medical Corp in the Southern Brigade. Pretty handy for me since my company's based in Limerick, around five miles from where I go to college, studying English and History after a tenure in Business and German. The way its going, I've the next four years in the Reserve to look forward to at least and its a fair bit of craic so I find! Thanks to the international recession, I've been capped as a 2star private, just waiting for the economy to pick up before we finally get our full qualifications!

Still its interesting. My unit seems comprised of either out-of shape wannabes or else obnoxious know-it-alls, but then again, this is the reserve. We generally get parcelled out to units on exercise according to our fitness so being scarcely two decades old and quite a spring chicken, I'm always with the infantry. I'm meant to be assigned to a section, but due to manpower constraints, usually find myself with an unexpected promotion to platoon medic which causes some friction with section commanders who find themselves equal to a jumped up private!

Only been in it a year, but since I've the basics out of the way, hope to get granted my Ambulance Skills and courses done over the next two summers (EFR to EMT standard). Until then, I'm relegated to carrying the basic medical kit and taking turns muling the GPMG around the place!

T2K and T2K13, I only discovered in the last year or two (product of the dying months of '89, my apolagies mo chairde!) and have been trying to hook my ad hoc group of gamers towards it. They're generally a D&D crowd(which I've grown out of!) and nWoD so I've started reeling them towards it with a game of CoC, then a Delta Green campaign set in Vietnam and then hopefully, onward to T2K! Wish me luck!

Fág an Beallach!

P.S. Its interesting to hear the experiences of the servicemen from different countries here. One of the guys I climb with just finished up 12 years in the Bundeswehr and is back to college, studying over here. While there might be differences, the bullshit seems to be the same everywhere!

Last edited by Rapparee; 11-10-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to add in one detail!