Thread: BTR in Nevada
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Interesting for sure. Although the whole idea of driving a BTR, ick! Although a BRDM would be much better.

I can see the idea of them not being used in Europe, that would be risky. And the idea of them being used in CONUS would be a good idea for dealing with Civ Gov, NA and the assorted rogues, bandits and marauders and warlords. I can even see them on the California front, as long as they stay out of Texas and the Division De Cuba.

Some issues though:

Transport and shipping facilities could be a problem. The vessels will they be there? Will they sit in harbor the extra couple days or weeks now to load them making prime targets for Pact air and sea forces? At sea, more comerce raiders, a laden vessel handles slower than a unladen.

An d of course the facilities to load and unload such vesels, since many of the major port facilities were severely damaged.

Refitting the thingswith the ramp up in production will it be available? I mean the facilities, the personel and the materials to do so.

Crews need to be trained to repair and maintain and even use them.

Russian gear, its bass ackwards in many ways, and the labels, guages, parts and such will all be in Russian.

It would be interested, but also there are several design flaws of pact vehicles, as an American I love the fuel cell in the back doors, something I am sure they aren't thrillled with. Size, most pact armored vehicles are made for people smaller than the average American, that can be a problem.

Overall though it would be a cool idea for internal or domestic forces backhome, it would just have limitations.

Crews would need extra training and need to be smaller in stature <oooh a special group of women AF SF types, or regular police using them> who would have some Russian taught to them to read some of the parts and such, as well as the drivbing characteristics.