Thread: BTR in Nevada
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I think every army makes destruction of abandoned equipment standard procedure. How often this happens is another question entirely. The Viet Minh defeated the French at DBP with the aid of American 105mm guns provided by the Chinese, who acquired them in Korea. Surely some abandoned vehicles will be destroyed in accordance with SOP. Surely others will not.
The Chinese also had A LOT of US gear from WW II. But the Chicoms captured a good deal of gear in Korea with their initial attacks that panicked US troops left.

Quote:
This is what I have in mind for the BTR-80A2 in Nevada. Both the corporate bigwigs and the unions at Ford and GM will be delighted at the prospect of providing several hundred more big diesel engines for Pact vehicle refit.
I'd think that US auto makers would rather build wheeled APCs from scratch than refit foreign gear. More work and money for them. I could see John Deere, Caterpillar or some other domestic heavy equipment manufacturers who don't have experience building APCs, but know how to make engines and parts getting a lot of work.

Quote:
North America might receive very few trucks. It’s a matter for further consideration.
I would doubt any trucks would be sent to the USA. Nobody has more cars and trucks than the US. Even after the nukes fall and new manufacturing stops, there are still millions of vehicles around. The only advantage Pact vehicles may have is if they have fewer electronics, they are less susceptible to EMP effects.