Thread: BTR in Nevada
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
I'd think that US auto makers would rather build wheeled APCs from scratch than refit foreign gear. More work and money for them. I could see John Deere, Caterpillar or some other domestic heavy equipment manufacturers who don't have experience building APCs, but know how to make engines and parts getting a lot of work.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
I would doubt any trucks would be sent to the USA. Nobody has more cars and trucks than the US. Even after the nukes fall and new manufacturing stops, there are still millions of vehicles around. The only advantage Pact vehicles may have is if they have fewer electronics, they are less susceptible to EMP effects.
I'm thinking refit for foreign sales rather than for domestic use. One of the main attractions of Soviet gear is its relative simplicity and ruggedness. Third World allies, who are chronically short of trucking, may prefer a cheap refit of a Pact truck over a more expensive American truck fresh off the assembly lines. Nevertheless, I agree that few or no trucks may be sent to CONUS.

Webstral