View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Default bicycle troops

We had bicycle mounted dragoons in the 1950s and 1960s in my old regiment. Apparently they were quite effective as they could outpace and outcarry regular marching troops easily.

I can definently see horse/bicycledragoons and cavalry scouts coming back in a T2K setting.

I also think melee weapons like sabres, maces and other sharp and pointy things being reintroduced.To save ammo for one - why shoot an unarmed prisoner when he can be hacked to death without spending a bullet?

As for the cavalry charge I dont know. The LMG was pretty much the end of that as far as I can understand. But if modern automatic weapons were running out of ammo and parts..maybe it could be reintroduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundgren View Post
Interesting thread

There was a comment about the problem of maintenance of bicycles. But with so many other things, it is when you look at the modern variants. Something like this tend to keep working http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_military_bicycle but it is sure not as fun to use as a more modern one. The royal guard regiment was just getting rid of them back in 1992. But there was still a few that we could borrow, to get to a supermarket nearby, if we had some free time.

They were used back in the days for infantry units, and they trained to be towed behind a tractor or a work horse. Basically the same tactics used by our northern brigades to tow infantry on skis during winter.

Might be a good option for infantry units working together with cavalry units.