View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

The Finnish non-mechanized infantry (Infantry Brigade type 80) usea bicycles and agricultural tractors as means of conveyance of a great deal of its troops and by the time I was in service, the bicycle marches were very common (not to mention formation drills with bicycles and skis).

I would not mock a bicycle as a means of conveyance, as it saves the military a bunch on resources. You have to feed only the rider and veterinary services are provided by a couple of bicycle mechanics (in Finnish nicknamed as "pumppuluumu", literally a pump prune), who are often the not-so capable soldiers in the Headquarters and Supply Company (when I was in service, the conscript bicycle mechanics and others in support or supply roles were mostly either very much uninterested in serving or the slightly impaired ones - poor sight, cognitive problems etc.).

Last horses in the Finnish Army were sold in late 90'ies. The military slang said, the army horses had "service days on their asses" - they had a registry number shaved on their behinds. Nowadays the Army Dragoon Band is the only unit to use horses, but as far as I know, the horses are privately owned.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.

Last edited by Medic; 01-12-2013 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Added horses