Thread: 4th ed T2K
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
I'm feeling ambivalent today about this. I'd certainly like to hear more about the system, I'm seeing several references to "hexcrawling", and I'd like to know what that means, in terms of this game.
Hexcrawling is old school RPG terms back when Chainmail and OD&D were new things in the world. Think of the old hex maps used for wargames and chits on those maps. That is what a hex crawler is in a nut shell. The maps would represent a region and each space would be a hex. See here for an example of Roman era Europa done in hex. Here is some random fantasy map done in hexcrawl format with some simple but easy to understand graphical icons. .

There are some advantages to a hexcrawl map.
  • You can assign numbers to your hexes and keep easy notes if a session has to end before combat is resolved.
  • If done right you can say each hex is X measurement wide making movement plotting easy verse grid
  • With 8 sides facing and weapon usage is easy to figure as well as line of sight
  • Hex grid paper is fairly cheap from most office/school supply centers to make your own maps of things like towns or buildings
  • It can be easy to scale down with only some minor hassles

However, at the same time there are disadvantages.
  • Trying to put a square building into a Hex is a PITA. You will have endless arguements at times with players about whether a corner is in a hex or not.
  • Facing issues and movement is always a pain to figure at times. Some rules make you spend movement points/time just to move the 120 degrees to change facing while in the same hex
  • movement left->right across a maps is hard to figure since the hexes are off set from each other.
  • Hexes are really old school. Going back to the earliest days of wargames from folks like SPI, Avalon Hill, or even GDW.
  • it is hard to fit things into hexes at times. See the map of Roman era Europe linked to earlier, see what England/Scotland looks like. Can for some suspend the moment for gaming.

Hope this helps to understand what hexcrawl is.