Thread: Navy Links
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
@Brit: I lived in Montevideo, Uruguay from 1990-'93. You could still see one of the Graf Spee's masts protruding above the river surface from the harbor. Don't know if that's still the case. IIRC, one of its main guns is on display at the Uruguayan naval museum (yeah, that's a thing).

If the USN brought it back into active service (very likely, IMHO), I think it would definitely have been fitted with Harpoons and Tomahawks (assuming there were still SSMs in US stockpiles by the time the refitting was completed).

-
I suspect that they were retrofitted but with less of them than the Iowa's had -but that by 2001 any she was equipped with would have been fired - or maybe just one or two "magic bullets" left

FYI that is the reason my GM changed the weapons in the Last Submarine from torpedoes to harpoons and tomahawks - i.e. by 2001 there would be hardly any left whereas the Navy most likely had enough torpedoes for a full weapons load out still around - though some may have been older "dumb torps" instead of guided torps