View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM

The locations look good. I have worked with some of these units over the years and you've got the places the units were stationed dead on. Also, the conversion of some brigades to support/artillery looks good. Also, the battalions seem to have come from the right lineage, good research.

Something that I'm not too sure about is engineer battalions, cavalry squardrons, MI battalions, and aviation assets.

I can't see the army stripping corps level aviation units and giving them to LIDs. The assets were sure to be scarce and had to come from somewhere. In looking at the "corps" most of these divisions were in, the corps seemed to have not much more than an HQ and maybe a few long range guns or an engineer battalion.

Some of the divisions picked up tanks left over from deployed formations. Ideally, if I were an LID commander, i'd love to have at least a humvee or FAV motorized cav squardron so my division had 1 unit some some sort of mobility. Maybe they had some sort of combination where they are using one troop in hummers, a couple troops on horseback, and a platoon of M60A4s. I would see something like this done more by the initiative of the division commander than by a TO&E.

The engineers and MI bats also I'm not too sure about. Maybe what we are calling a "battalion" of engineers exists, in some sort of reduced capacity. Like civillian front end loaders and former civillian engineers and construction types. An MI battalion has all kinds of neat toys like radars, drones, analists, interregators, and so on. I just don't see that suddenly popping up and the army doesn't have a lot of them laying around as spares.

Support doesn't even appear in the TO&E for the US army vehicle guide. I don't have one infront of me, but I don't think Cav or aviation is on it.