View Single Post
Old 08-19-2020, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
There's no such thing as bad press, right? And most of what I've been seeing here and on FB is very supportive of Free League's endeavors. The naysayers, at this point, seem to be a small minority. I very pleasantly surprised at how successful the Kickstarter has been to this point. I think it's really cool that so many people are eager enough for a fresh take on the genre that they're supporting its development financially. I think that bodes well for the future of v4.

I too have concerns about quality control issues and signal-to-noise ratio that lots of sponsored fan content will generate, but it's probably better to have more choices in terms of content than fewer.

I get it. We all love this game- that's why we're here. We don't want FL to "ruin" it for us. But let's wait and see what they come up first* before slagging it. And hey, if you end up not liking what they come up, there's still v1, 2, and 2013 to fall back on.

*Don't put too much stock in the sample pages. They're SAMPLE PAGES. Teaser trailers, if you will. I'm confident that what they've shared so far will be more fleshed out by the time it gets to market.

-
The biggest concerns I have is that they really put some thought into the timeline, the vehicles and weapons and the need for follow up releases. I would rather see it delayed a month or two and get it really polished then rush it out too fast. And I hope they know it needs to be fully supported by them and with official releases. I know how long we have waited for this and that frankly the game has been in the Dead Games pile way too long.

With luck they will take one look at how fast the kickstarter has been funded and realize that this is not something to think they can one and done or one and "we will get back to you eventually" with official releases.

That was one smart thing GDW did - they released follow ups in a timely fashion that filled the need of those who loved the game and wanted that new material. And the last thing they need to do - especially with the attention spans of so many nowadays - is release it and everyone loves it and then nothing new at all to follow up with and depend on the kindness of strangers to write quality material

I.e. the last thing that V4 needs is a City of Angels or Survivors Guide to the UK type fan release as the follow up to a polished initial release and us being told the official releases wont be coming out for six months or a year or two