View Single Post
Old 08-11-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
An entirely fair observation . But even the very slim v1 T2K rules were FAR better suited to a modern combat RPG than the teaser rules we've seen for the new edition. I'm pretty good at honest self-reflection, I know full well that my penchant for complex, maybe even 'simulationist' rules isn't practical for most gaming groups. And certainly wouldn't appeal to the widest possible audience. But IMHO there's a balance to be struck, and while very light-on rules might well be the thing for today's new crop of TTRPGers, I suspect for those of us who were playing the v1, v2 and v2.2 rules when they were first published, the new rules system will seem cartoony.

As always, my comments on the new edition are in no way intended to put anyone off buying them and playing them. If a group enjoys them, play the hell out of them I say. More power to 'em.
I'm working from an open mind. I acquired Mutant: Year Zero to check them out. It has kind of a SHADOWRUN vibe to it but is very rules-lite too. I see from the posting above that they will be using a different size of die (unlike MUTANT which uses D6s) like SAVAGE WORLDS does? I'm hopeful but skeptical too, but I'll probably STILL buy the fourth (fifth*) edition to mine it for good ideas. I have taken loads of ideas from Twilight2013 (the technical 4th edition*) for use with version 2.2 (the real 3rd Edition*).

I'm still imagining you behind that 5ft GM's screen and you didn't deny having it. Do you have a window in it or do you just hang up a "GM is in" sign and narrate the image of a cold cruel world invisibly from behind that screen? at least the PCs have all their Crit charts available too...

* I hate how everyone just overlooks my beloved V2.2 Edition as the third ittineration of Twilight2000.