Thread: RAF Regiment
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perardua View Post
I like this a lot. I joined up a mere five years ago, so I am not really able to comment on the state of the RAF Regiment during the period of the Twilight War. However, a few things I noticed which apply to the modern day RAF Regiment include the fact that you identify the RAF tactical recognition flash (introduced around 2005-6, I think) as a specifically RAF Regiment TRF. This TRF is actually worn by all non-Regiment members of the Royal Air Force, whereas only RAF Regiment personnel not assigned to squadrons (i.e. members of Ground Defence Training Flights, instructors, etc) wear the RAF TRF. Members of formed squadrons wear a squadron-specific TRF in subdued colours appropriate to the theatre. For example, 2620 Sqn has a TRF depicting a griffin, while 63 Sqn has an eagle with roman numerals for 63 underneath.

Pedantic, I know, but a lot of Gunners go out of their way to avoid wearing an RAF TRF even if they are supposed to, and the same for the Royal Air Force chest tape on the CS95 shirt. The RAF Regiment likes to try and differentiate itself from the guins as much as possible.
Thanks, really useful comments, not sure how I will use. Any idea on what the individual squadron TRFs are?