View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perardua View Post
There is, as I mentioned, an emergency battle sight on top of the SUSAT, which is next to useless. However, if iron sights are fitted to the rifle rather than a SUSAT/CWS/ACOG then they are in exactly the same place as on the L98, i.e. carrying handle/iron sight on the sight rail, foresight on the gas block. Like I said, the only times you tend to see iron sights on L85s these days is in training establishments, the hands of some of the RAF and most of the Royal Navy (and not even then, on ops), and jungle warfare training. I certainly haven't touched them since recruit training.
The TA01NSN ACOGs had a similar top mounted back up iron sight that gave you about pistol sights for your rifle (about a 4-5" sight radius I think) but with no cheek weld to speak of. They were probably okay to 25 meters or so and I think they were more intended for knuckle draggers who couldn't shoot two eyes open and use the scope itself at CQB range. The irons did have tritium inserts so they might have helped under low light.

The TA31s with fiber optic but everyone is all hazard about parking redundant micro red dots on top of them now. Two eyes open with the fiber optics will run as fast as a red dot with a little practice.