View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I'm not a Bradley apologist but it's record in Desert Storm and the conventional phase of Iraqi Freedom was quite good, with AFV kill ratios heavily favoring the Bradley. In Desert Storm, Bradley crews racked up quite a few Iraqi MBT kills, both with TOWs and with 25mm APFDS rounds.

IIRC, in one of the worst blue-on-blue cases of Desert Storm, a Bradley was hit by an A-10 Warthog, resulting in the death/maiming of most of the crew.

I concur with Copeab's witty assessment:

"The Bradley is an over-sized light tank carrying an under strength rifle squad."
One more who thinks Copeab's witty assessment:

"The Bradley is an over-sized light tank carrying an under strength rifle squad." Is right on.

I also agree with micromachine a bit, I always thought that they should not have had the TOW on them, I did not have issues with the 25mm, but also would have none with a larger gun. But to me the missile was the issue it lets the crew think that they are capable of going toe to toe with a Tank when they are not (if the tank crew is quality, I do not think you would have seen the results of Iraq) or at least not with out some preparation/defensive positions. If you left the ATGM's to the dismounts I think it would be a better vehicle as all the room for the launcher/ammo storage would be used for more troops and/or their equipment. But that is just my thoughts and I have no hard data to back them up.