View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Well, it took a little digging, but I've found the info I was looking for...and I was a bit wrong. The Mexican Civil War does not happen until 1999, after the invasion of the US. This rules the Civil War out from being the cause of the mass migration to the US.

But, the timeline in V2.2 (which I fall back upon, so long as it does not directly contradict V1 canon, since it is more detailed) states that Mexico was hit in 1997 during the first round of strategic nuclear exchanges. Also, Division Cuba does not move to Mexico until 1998, well after Mexico is it by nukes. This means that it was almost certainly the Soviets who hit the Mexican oil refineries so as to deny their use by the US. I'm of the mind that this in no way prevents Mexico from making use of Division Cuba to assist in its invasion of the US. The general populace of Mexico would not know who hit them with nukes and it is unlikely the left-leaning government would be willing to tell the truth. All that is revealed is that the Gringos are killing Mexicans along the border and the Soviets have graciously offered to lend their support in helping Mexico to regain the land stolen 150 years prior.

Bigger lies have been foisted upon people before, and given the Mexican government's efforts to distract the population with a bout of cross border adventurism it seems to fit. Also, an invasion of the US allows the coalition leftist government to get right of large elements of the regular army, an institution that has been historically conservative in Mexican politics. Of course this doesn't save the country from civil war and chaos, but there is a crazy logic to it all.

Of course 300 years down the road in 2300AD the history books may not know the truth, and people of that era may actually believe that it was the US that nuked Mexico.

Benjamin

P.S. One thing I based a whole 2300AD campaign around almost a decade ago was the canon breaking statement in the Survivors Guide to the UK that stated that NATO were the first to use tac nukes in Europe (p.8). After finding documents in one of the few remaining hidden stockpiles, the PCs were able to prove that this was French fabrication used hundreds of years ago to place war guilt upon America, Germany and Britain. It was great fun to follow the political fallout that wracked the globe...until the Kafers invaded.