View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin
One thing I based a whole 2300AD campaign around almost a decade ago was the canon breaking statement in the Survivors Guide to the UK that stated that NATO were the first to use tac nukes in Europe (p.8).
You'll probably find on closer inspection that nuclear weapons were first used in the east. I'm not sure off hand if it was China or the Soviets who threw the first one, but I think it was the later.
After the war in the east was effectively won, the excess units were transfered back to the west in time to halt the NATO offensive into the Soviet Union and throw them back into Germany. NATO, in a desperate attempt to halt the oncoming juggernaut started using nukes but barely managed to slow them down a little.

The way it's written, it's a fair assumption that if Nato did not use tactical nukes in 1997, the war in Europe would have been over and done with by Christmas of that year with an almost certain Pact victory and communist control of virtually all of the continent.

France would have been left with no choice but to fight or face destruction as I doubt the rampaging communist forces would have halted at the Rhine with total and utter victory over Captialism just a few hundred miles further on...

So yes, NATO fired first in Europe, but did they really have a choice?