Thread: Twilight 1864
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 AM

Looks like you're using v1 skills list, yes? Also if you're interested there was a Challenge article that had blackpowder 19th century weapons for v2(.2) - though they are basically the same as Paul's stuff in that word doc.

My only comments would be on the skill list, in particular the matching of skill-for-skill. Perhaps it's the case that some skills don't need to be matched which would lead to, for example, steamtrain operation as a skill rather than many skills. You could also keep indirect and direct fire weapons as mortar and cannon as I think they had mortars (large bore, indirect cannons) back then. Other skills could be Equestrian becomes Animal Handling and then it would make more sense to keep Cavalry as a separate skill (if at all).

I'd also question the suitability of the system for a 1860s game, but it depends what you want. You wouldn't use the twilight (v1 or 2) for a medieval game because it works best at capturing the feel of medium range smallarms fights with some panic and coolness under fire issues chucked in. Perhaps it might translate poorly if say all revolvers/rifles are single action / lever action and everyone is restricted to one shot per turn, always. Maybe it will work, it depends on what you're after.

As an aside I don't think I've found a good "Wild West" rpg. I've bought a couple (inspired by red dead redemption) but be they percentile, dice pool, or poker dice systems I haven't found any of them to my liking.

Good luck!