View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Field marshal with an itch

Default Tactics

Kudos for bringing it up, although the most efficient way to get some more into the campaign would be to actually spend 20-40 mins. TEACHING what you know of the subject. It could be an excercise in futility, but starting a thread won't help a lot either I feel.

However, I've been studying the abstract principles of tactics lately (not specific battle drills) and if anyone should read this, the basics can be summed up as follows:

The basic elements of combat

1.FIRE
2.MOVEMENT
3.PROTECTION

The basic tactical principles

1.CONCENTRATION OF FORCE -everybody knows it is better to hammer at one point instead of a little bit all over if you want to break down a door.

2.SURPRISE - Surprise!

3.OFFENSIVE ACTION - even if retreating or simply defending, staying on the offense means taking advantage of new possibilities, will ensure you keep initiative and not become predictable.

4.MUTUAL SUPPORT - I suspect this is the point the GM would most like us to understand and implement, and it can be really effective. It takes integrity though, a very precious commodity under the circumstances.
:
5.SIMPLICITY - A complex plan depending on a number of hard-to-calculate elements works fine in James Bond movies, not so for any of us.

The above are combined in various ways in order to reach different goals, for instance, and attack against a well defended position would mostly consist of FIRE and MOVEMENT broken up by units finding PROTECTION on the way forward, and in order to succeed, I would try emphasise MUTUAL SUPPORT when advancing. It would be good to SURPRISE them, althought to break through, a CONCENTRATION OF FORCE would probably be the key.

Fieldmarshal DeCorba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stegger/sets