View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
I only ever met one Texan when I was in the US, a student we moved when I was working for a moving company in Boston. We got to talking and I mentioned that I'd been out working as a shooting instructor on a summer camp. She said that she shot a lot at home and missed it now she was "up north". Apparently she had a carry permit for a 12g pump she kept in her car at home! Not sure if she was winding me up, but she certainly sounded like she knew what she was talking about.
I'm not sure why she needed a permit. In most states you can keep a gun in your car with no problem. (Some, but not all exceptions: California, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachussetts and Hawaii).

Caradhras, keep in mind, Texas is BIG. When you cross the state line in the east it's over 800 miles until you hit the next state line to the west. There are big cities (Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston are massive, San Antonio and Austin are nothing to sneeze at either), deserts and mountains out west, endless miles of pine forest in the east, endless flat plains out in the panhandle, hills south from Dallas to San Antonio. Some counties are bigger than some of the smaller states (but have less than 5,000 people in them).

To clarify what Jester said, some of the groups to keep in mind:
-city slickers & suburbanites - pretty much like anywhere else in the U.S. You get your gangbangers in the inner cities and pretty much regular civilians elsewhere. Some cities are very liberal.
-Tejanos: Mexican-Americans, whose families have mostly been in Texas since before there was a Republic of Texas (before Texas joined the US). They are VERY pro-U.S., as are most of the later Mexican immigrants. (Their attitude is: Mexico is a third-world, poor country, riven by crime, corruption and drugs. Why would we want to leave the U.S. to be part of that?)
-Rural folks: hearty, self-sufficient and no-nonsense. Lots of firearms.

And I also see 2 attitudes towards personal behavior/morality in Texas. One is a fun-loving, party all-you-like and do as you please, so long as you don't bother other people attitude (if you do, see the bumper sticker: "Don't Mess with Texas"). The other is a deeply devoted religious attitude - you'll see churches that are truly massive and packed with people. They can be quite aggressive in enforcing their vision of morality - with things like "dry" counties, where sale of alcohol is illegal. So there is an interesting dynamic there that you can play up in your game - maybe a marauder band that is composed of a bunch of "good ole' boys" who ride pickups and are looting the countrside in search of beer and women, while another is under the influence of a preacher who is determined to wipe out the enclave of sinners that don't believe in whatever his particular belief is.

So you have lots of possibilities! Have fun with it!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...