Thread: Laser weapons
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
James, in a post I wrote in the thread GM RESOURCES - links to make GMing easier and better I included an attachment containing a submission by Stavatti Corporation in response to the Light Fighter Lethality After Next-Statement of Objectives. The submission describes the (as of 1999) theoretical TIS-1 (Tactical Infantry System-1) Gasdynamic Laser Weapon System, basically a man portable laser rifle.

The document makes for interesting reading. It seems that Stavatti Corp was confident it could source or fabricate all the required components except for the energy source, a Polonium-210 power cell.
Thanks for that, interesting reading. I would guess that this (if it worked) is far more powerful than the weapon I have written up. I may well pinch some of the details and probably the illustration. A few points come from it that I would welcome comments on:

* there appears to be an issue with recoil. As stated in the Infantry Weapons Guide there is none, thoughts on if the weapon should have a value and options to reduce it if there is.

* how would the military react to the half life of ammo of 60 days? My guess is that this is enough to scupper the project from the start.

* I like the idea of using the excess energy to power accessories BUT this will mean either adapters or new systems to take advantage of it.

* Is the rate of fire too high?

* My personal guess is that this wonder weapon will hit snags in development and be less effective than the manufacturer expects (surprise, surprise).