View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM

I agree but teams are there permanently. I have the same idea than yours Kato and, as a result, they are on their own. However, that might evolved in an intersting situation. Here are some elements for France.

The region is led by a council of 7 members (appointed for 5 years) and led by a general commissioner to the army.

In Terre Adélie (Antarctic itself), there are 27 people all scientists and highly skilled technicians.

Crozet Islands: 35 people.

Kerguelen Islands: 80 people.

Amsterdam Island: 30 people.

No women are found among the permanent members and these figures double in the summer period (including women this time).

9 french fishing ships are authorized to opperate in the region: Kuerguelen-de-tremarec, Antarctic I, Austral, Albius, Croix-du-sud I, Ile Bourbon, Cap-Kersaint, Cap Horn I and Azmina.

3 Military ships are patrolling the area: Albatros, Floréal et Nivôse.

2 supply ships are opperating there: Marion-Dufresne II and Astrolabe.

1 research ship is also patrolling the area: La Curieuse.

I agree that they might be mostly on their own but I personnally met some of these personnel and I hardly imagine them leaving the area. In addition, there are some good reason to maintain them in place: supply post for shipping, large fishing reserve, algae production and a major sattelite communication center.