View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 AM

As train came back in our discussion, here are three types of armored wagon I designed for the USSR. The first one is an opening wagon that you find in front of the locomotive, the second one is the basic infantry wagon equipped with BTR turrets, the last one is an anti-air wagon using turrets salvaged from ZSU-23-4 (possibilities are endless).

The French, however, used more regular wagons (more artisanal kind of trains) that they reinforced with wood or steel, sometime, mounting a tank turret on the roof and practicing fire holes on the side walls. UK certainly had the most original trains. Then the most simple mountings were open mounting (sometimes with rotating platform) that could fit either an artillery piece, a mortar or heavy machineguns.

Patrol draisine (armored or not) shuold be in use again for regular patrols. Most probably, they would be made from regular armored cars on which are going to be fitted rail wheels.

Original drawings come from Paul Malmassari who wrote several books on the subject. That man, a former army colonel, is a gold mine for all military subject in France and I would expect his books to fill a full room of our military libraries.
Attached Images