View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Banned

Let me say a few things

One

In truth "Twilight" has two meanings

The end of darkness immediately before the dawn.

OR

The last light before things go completely black.

Kato that has to be one of the most profound things I have heard here on the board - and a great way of looking at both sides of the argument and how both sides have validity.

Two

If anyone thought I was posting in a disrespectful tone let me please offer my most abject apologies. That was not my intent in any way. I was just trying to show, from an AD&D perspective, using Greyhawk as my basis, that a fantastic AD&D game could be had in both the totally civilized areas of Greyhawk and the totally wild areas - and that if the intent was to recreate the feel of AD&D for the players that you dont necessarily have to be the wilds of the Pomarj to still have one hell of a great game.

Three

If the idea of HW and Kidnapped was to turn the US into an area where you could play AD&D then I have to wonder if the designers ever really knew what AD&D was. While that world had vast areas of wild country overrun by monsters it also had large and vital cities and kingdoms that were very civilized as well. The previous US modules had that feel - yes there were areas that were wild and needed taming but there was also a base of civilization as well. But HW and Kidnapped took that base of civilization and threw it to the four winds. Very few AD&D campaigns exist in a ruined world where civilization is a thing of the past - players interested in that tended to go for Gamma World or Aftermath or other similar games.

To me the modules that felt the most like AD&D were the NYC module, the Madonna and Krakow - there you had that base of civilization still left but also wild areas to be tamed and conquered - and all had places where players could rest and re-equip and then sally forth again to fight the monsters. HW and Kidnapped made a world where there really wasnt anything left but a constant fight for survival. Again much more like Aftermath (which I played and had a very good time with by the way) than AD&D.

And again all of this is my opinion - really the game is what you and your GM make of it. It is up to him to shape it for the fun of all concerned. My GM ignored HW and the climate aspect of Kidnapped and kept the US on the path of rebirth - "The end of darkness immediately before the dawn." - but that path was going to be a very long one even with those two modules in play.

But I bet Mad Max America would have been a fun game to play as well. Just dont say it would be like AD&D - say its like Aftermath - now thats more accurate

Last edited by Olefin; 04-11-2014 at 10:39 PM.