Thread: Just an Idea...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 PM

Hello all, I haven't been around for awhile but I am catching up. As for the ROF of weapons I used the FFS excel sheet and made my own small arms designer quite a few years ago. The link below has the main topic..

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread....ghlight=milano

For the specifics of the ROF I figured..

Rate of Fire
What is the difference between the L85 IW and FAMAS? Both are bullpups, both fire 5.56? However the IW fires at 750 rpm and the FAMAS at 1,100 rpm. I figure that with an assault rifle a trained soldier will fire a half second burst usually. So, I changed the rates of fire to be truly representative of a type of weapon and how you would use them given their class. The IW has an ROF of 6 and the FAMAS a ROF of 9. Rates of fire are divided as below and can be changed via "Misc. Stuff." J2-J10.
Assault Rifle and Submachine Gun – half second burst
Automatic Rifle and Machine Gun – 0.6 second burst
Battle Rifle and Machine Pistol – 0.4 second burst

And for the specifics of a Delayed Roller Lock system versus a Bolt Action, Gas System or a Piston.. I have 6 7.62x51s. Several bolts, an AR308 (gas), HK91 (Delayed Roller), and an M1a. All are in 7.62x51 and believe me the 91 BEATS you up! I would hate to try it full auto. Of all of them the AR is the "softest" recoiling of all of them, then the M1a, then the bolts, then that mule of an HK.

What I am leading to, is that of all my 308s the actions are different. Same as shooting a 6.8 AR vs an AKM. The AKM "bounces" around a lot more than the AR because of the stock design. The ARs (or M4s and M16s) are a straight recoil design, as opposed to that of the AKs. I believe that to try and make a mathematical formula for recoil is an act of futility. I would ask those who have shot both an MP5 vs an UZI. Is the recoil impulse different? I would assume probably, but the statistic are very similar.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents and again the link has my formula and how I delt with varied ROFs. If you have any questions please ask away!