Thread: Sniper teams
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
Bloat certainly happens. I think the place to worry about it, though, is in the staff and services areas. Company, battalion, and brigade staffs are like gas giants—drawing in troops who would be better used somewhere else. Freeing soldiers from the gravity well of staffs requires some real effort. The US Army has slimmed down the support tail vis-Ă*-vis the combat teeth a bit with the modular reorganization, which is a step in the right direction.
Agreed. Thankfully, units are deploying frequently enough that guys are stepping on their peckers upon redeployment and keeping the BN and BDE coffers with a ready supply for the staffs.

Quote:
As for the sniper teams, the six-man team makes me think of a guy who went to Iraq with me. He had just come from a LRS unit with the 101st. He may have been with us for four months before we were mobilized for OIF3. When I was active duty in the 90’s, LRS was strictly surveillance—at least according to doctrine. My new compatriot told that at least in the 101st the role was changing. LRS was supposed to attack targets of opportunity and perform other non-surveillance actions. The thinking for this goes to flexibility, I believe. Six men striking from the shadows can do some things that might not otherwise be possible so economically. Of course, there are counterarguments for keeping LRS confined to surveillance missions. A six-man sniper team has a bigger footprint but more options, it seems to me.
I don't think it's widespread throughout LRS units but it's definitely not unbelievable, especially with all the emphasis that the Career Course put on doctrinal use of them. RRD has been executing that since their first few weeks in A-stan and I'm pretty sure that's the precedent to argue for that.
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.