Thread: Just an Idea...
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I tie the machinegun's heat to BOTH the weapon's Reliability and the number of belts of an average round count for that gun (ie 100 for most GPMGs and 200 for most SAWs) fired. This number [which I call Dependability] ranges from 1 (for older .50 Caliber MGs) to as many as 10 (for a liquid-cooled Maxim) and represents the number of belts you can fire before problems begin.

RELIABILITY:

This is the weapon's normal reliability and determines when a jam might occur. It is an "evolution" of my earlier houserule.

Good Reliability: The weapon will only jam on a roll of 20 IF the user rolls EQUAL TO OR UNDER the weapon's WEAR VALUE.

Average Reliability: The weapon automatically jams on a roll of 20 but the user can roll OVER the weapon's current WEAR VALUE to shoot a burst BEFORE the weapon jams. On a roll of 19, the weapon jams IF the user rolls EQUAL TO OR UNDER the weapon's WEAR VALUE. A burst is considered fired before the jam.

Poor Reliability: The weapon automatically jams on a roll of 20. NO burst is fired too. On a roll of 19, The weapon jams BUT a burst/shot may be fired IF the user rolls OVER the weapon's WEAR VALUE. On a roll of 18, a burst is fired BUT the weapon jams.

Reliability goes hand-in-hand with the machinegun's Dependability ratings.

The Dependability Rating:

As previously mentioned, the Dependability rating is the number of BELTS/MAGS (of a typical round-count) that can be fired BEFORE issues arise. Once the "belt count" has been exceeded without a barrel change, the user rolls against the weapon's WEAR VALUE. IF they roll EQUAL TO OR UNDER the weapon's WEAR VALUE, reduce the base range by 5m (hand-held/shoulder-fired) and decrease reliability by one number (ie a 19 or 20 average reliability becomes poor, while poor reliability weapons will now jam on a roll of 17 too). IF the user rolls 5 or more under the WEAR VALUE'S THRESHOLD number, a Catastrophic event like a "blown/melted barrel" or a "runaway gun" occurs! This roll is made for each new belt without a barrel change.

I found this to be the best balance between a "user-friendly" houserule and "gritty realism."
A question, just to make sure I am understanding. You are saying that the M2 has a dependability of 1? So after firing one belt it runs the chance of jamming?