View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the Us Army's Elite

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

by James Stejskal

"This book relays the history of a little known and highly classified US Army Special Forces Detachment that was stationed in Berlin, Germany from 1956 to 1990. It came into existence in response to the threat posed by the massive armies of the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies to the nations of Western Europe. US military planners decided they needed a plan to slow the massive Soviet advance they expected when and if a war began. The plan was Special Forces Berlin. The first 40 men who came to Berlin in mid-1956 were soon reinforced by 60 more and these 100 soldiers (and their successors) would stand ready to go to war in a hostile area occupied by nearly one million Warsaw Pact forces until 1990. If war came, some of these men would stay in Berlin to fight the enemy, while others would cross the most heavily defended border in the world and disappear into the countryside to accomplish their tasks behind Soviet lines. The Detachment were also involved in operations elsewhere, including involvement in the attempted rescue of American hostages from Tehran in 1979. When SF Berlin was disbanded, its files and records were for the most part destroyed or lost. Written by a veteran of the unit, this narrative of the unit's activities is based on the recollections of the men who served in it, coupled with what little declassified, official documentation is available."

Folks, here's a campaign starter for a more traditional WW3 setting! US SF teams having to hide in Berlin and strike out at the Pact lines communications around the city.

I just heard about this from the "Spycast" podcast. Apparently, these guys were so good at maintaining cover that the Stasi really didn't know they were there, and other Americans in and out of Berlin didn't know what they were really there for.

Last edited by Adm.Lee; 08-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.