View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
4,000,000 seems surprisingly high for the number of horses owned by the Amish in the United States.

Their population is only around 330,000 and the average household size is 7, so that would imply ~12 horses per person or 85 horses per household. A typical household actually has 7 or 8 horses (usually 6 draft and 1 or 2 light horses for buggy work), which in turn implies roughly 355,000 horses owned by the Amish.
Yes, it should be a total of 400,000 (for 2000, not 2018 too). stupid auto correct causes keystrokes to not register when I type on my smartphone then adds them in as I post my reply (all the ad popups?). I also have trouble calling up a keyboard in tapatalk on occasion. This doesn't happen when I use my laptop though?

The totals now (2018) are over 1.1 million horses but I guess that's not unusual considering the explosive population growth in the Amish community since 2000. They have almost doubled in number during the last 20 years.

The Army wouldn't "recruit" Amish drovers, they'd hire them. This would be just like the truckers and construction workers the DOD hired to work in Iraq and Kuwait during the War on Terror. Hell, I've hauled military equipment as a trucker here in the US.