View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 04:17 AM

Didn't the Aussies try a carbine version of the L1A1 during Vietnam. If I remember rightly they nicknamed them 'Bitches' because they had a hell of a kick.

Here's the info on it from wiki :

Another interesting product of Australian participation in the conflict in South-East Asia was the field modification of L1A1 and L2A1 rifles by the Australian Special Air Service Regiment SASR for better handling. Nicknamed "The Bitch", these rifles were field modified, often from heavy barrel L2A1 automatic rifles, with their barrels cut off immediately in front of the gas block, and often with the L2A1 bipods removed and a XM148 40 mm grenade launcher mounted below the barrel. The XM148 40 mm grenade launchers were obtained from U.S. forces. For the L1A1, the lack of fully-automatic fire resulted in the unofficial conversion of the L1A1 to full-auto capability by simply filing down the selector, which works by restricting disconnecter movement.

-------------

Now the L1A1 had I nice solid kick to it even on single shot so I'm betting this thing earned it's nicknamed well lol.