View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post

1) Infinite universes. Everything happens somewhere. Time travel as we consider it may not be even be possible in this scenario, nor recognizable when it happens. Foundation and Energy are not problems because there are always universes where the ideas are created from scratch and the universe you want already exists for free - you just need to step into it, knowing that there is already another one that is exactly identical save for the fact that you never entered that one.

Unfortunately, this also renders everything morally meaningless. If the universes are infinite, then so are your potential choices. You've lived your life as a saint? Well, out there are universes where you just this second became the worst human being ever imagined. You've lived a lifetime of evil? There are universes where you are about to have a radical change of heart.

With infinite universes, the moral decisions are not about saving anything. Nothing can be saved. Everything is always saved in some universes and destroyed in others, and those universes will always be there. All individuals can do is make choices knowing that their decisions are morally inconsequential, and that would likely be ruinous.
I do not agree with your stance whatsoever. Just because there are an infinite number of mes and yous it doesn't mean the pain and joy of those individuals doesn't exist. It doesn't mean that the decisions of those people doesn't have consequences in their realities. For the vast number of people (the 99.999999% plus) that can't zip between realities there is only a single universe, and a single life. I fully believe that there are an infinite number of realities. I do hope that in at least some the "me" in them has made better decisions and know that in others that "me" has done things far worse that I have. In an infinite number there is no "me" at all. However even with that I carry my moral framework with me, and would if I jumped into another universe. I don't understand why you would say the decisions I make in the only existence I know are meaningless. They have meaning in this existence and meaning to me. Since I am the only "me" I have direct knowledge of I care about where this "me" is and to "me" the things around "me" are not meaningless.

In this Universe I am one of billions of people here. How are my decisions morally meaningful on that scale? Who decides right and wrong? Morality is a cultural construct. "Rights" are a cultural construct. I'm not sure how having infinite universes affects any of this, unless the "me" in that universe decides it does.