View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 10:35 PM

I have a mate who was in the REME in Northern Ireland and Germany and his house game had a pair of AT-105 Saxons.

For those who don't know Saxons are a V-Hull and probably had the strongest mine mitigation design in NATO for a medium vehicle. Like many personnel carriers the rear seats are removable to convert the Saxon into a cargo carrier.
This low/medium intensity design makes it a great vehicle for T2K gypsy soldiers because it makes a great light truck that can take incidental abuse. It can carry about 10 troops in the rear or about one to two tonnes of junk as well as more stuff in an overhead rack under the armour, and that's before you start hanging junk off the outside.

The standard version in the 1990s was the AT-105E which had a machine gun turret rather than the open pintle the original vehicle had, some of these turrets were spares from the FV432 APC; a small one-man turret with a roof hatch, periscopes and an FN-MAG.

So yeah, a two-man cargo carrier that's also a high mobility very lightly armoured combat vehicle that uses little fuel and is easy to work on.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/unit...ription_u.html

Here's a model of one with the turret, the only turreted image I could find