Thread: NPCs
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Hi all.
I am curious on how PDs handle their NPCs. I have two types of NPCs, the pertinent ones, and the general one time appearance (well maybe a couple of times). The pertinent ones get a 4x6 inch index card which is large enough for stats, skills and a few notes on about the NPC. The general NPCs have a few stats and that's about it. Thoughts?
Pertinent ones as you call them I keep on an Excel spread sheet. I use a picture of an actual personal and I fully stat them as if a player character. I give them a history, a family, and profession. I also equip them personally and other things like a house or fort if it calls for that. Then I also fill out their motivations whether that is for good or evil. If I have other pertinent NPCs operating in the same town or region then I plan for what their relationship could be (adversarial, good nature, dislike, love interest).

Detail, detail, detail....... You don't know what PCs are going to ask or do.

General NPCs- Note cards or Excel spreadsheet again. I make them generic and fill them out first for the encounter groups in the area. I also make several for each kind of difficulty level (grunt, corporal, sergeant, sergeant major, lieutenant, captain, major, general, prime minister, king)

Obviously I would have a lot of basic grunts... So those typically are stats, a single name (tom, dick, and harry), important piece of equipment and a weapon (jailer = keys and a club) (night watch = oil lamp and a crossbow).

Each after that meets a rising level of responsibility and gets a little more detail. Example five grunts in the night watch merits a corporal. The corporal gets two names (Tom Smith), and probably something that denotes his rank ( chainmail shirt, a pre-War kevlar helmet). Then ten grunts means you get a sergeant, again two names, maybe more equipment and the value of the equipment for the NPC and his community goes up. For example, ten grunts, gets Corporal Smith, and Sergeant Walker. John Walker has been a valuable member of the night watch for ten years and is entrusted with one of the communities precious pre-war hand held radios.