View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 10:46 PM

The next part, and General Yeager talks with Guru:

10 November, 1987: 335th TFS, Sheppard AFB, TX. 1130 Hours Central War Time:

In his office, Guru was going over some papers. Nothing that was really important, but even for a CO, there were small things that required his attention. One thing, he knew, was that the PME that he was supposed to be getting would have prepared him for this, but now.... He shook his head, and noticed that these could really be handled by the XO. Since the Exec had gone out just after he did, that stuff just got put into his IN box. Oh, well....Guru got up, picked up the papers, and left his office. He found the XO's desk, and Capt. Mark Ellis, the Exec. “Mark.”

“Boss?” The XO replied. “What's this?”

“Just some stuff that the XO could handle. You and I were both out, when it came in. So, here you go.” Guru put the papers on the Exec's desk. “If you have to, just sign 'For the Commanding Officer', and go from there.”

Ellis nodded. “Thanks a heap, Boss.” He took the papers.

“Well, Mark, when you're a CO, you can torment your Exec the same way.”

“Something to look forward to,” said Ellis. Then Kara came over.

“What's up?” The CO asked his Assistant Ops Officer.

“Don's out, and they gave this to me,” she said. “We're on CAS until sunset. Those East Germans got reinforced, with some of their own, and some Russians. So it's shaping up to be a nice little brawl.”

“Lovely,” both CO and XO said almost at once. “What else?” Guru asked.

She handed Guru a sheet. “Updated weather. Cold front moving in through Colorado and Kansas, and we're going to feel some of it. No rain, but mid- and upper-level clouds. Highs in the fifties, beginning tomorrow, lows in the upper thirties to low forties.”

“Anything else?”

Two new F-4s from Japan left McClellan an hour ago. Should be here sometime this afternoon.”

“Good,” replied the CO. New birds were always welcome. “Anything about the crews?”

Kara shook her head. “We don't get to keep them, if that's what you want to know. They'll get here, then RON and have to leave tomorrow.”

Major Wiser considered that little bit of news. New birds, but no new crews. Well, he had enough unassigned pilots and WSOs to put together new crews, and get people out of temp assignments. And he could express his displeasure in another way..... “All right. If we can't keep them, then you can fleece them tonight. Send them back on tomorrow's C-141 with their wallets considerably lightened.”

Hearing that, Kara let out a grin. “With pleasure.”

“All right. Mark?” Guru turned to his Exec. “Let me know when those two birds get here.”

“Will do,” Ellis replied. “Oh, there's this: some of our people have gotten some F-20 time.”

The CO nodded. “Okay....What's the feedback?”

“Mostly it's, the, well....'Give it to the Aggressors or Guard and Reserve after the war.' No WSOs have taken a ride yet, either.”

Kara nodded. “Because if the Air Force keeps the F-20, they're out of a job.” She had already heard from Brainiac about that, and she actually agreed with him. Having a second pair of eyes in the cockpit had been a life-saver more than once, and enabled her to concentrate on flying the aircraft.

“Goalie said the same thing,” Guru noted. “F-15E, when it comes, is our future. Not this little....toy.”

Just then, Goalie came by. “Got our lunch, Boss.” She had a plastic bag with two food containers and a carrier for two paper cups.

“Okay. Be right there,” Guru said. “Mark? You and Kara get something to eat yourselves. Won't be that long before time to head back out.”

Both nodded. “Understood, Major,” the Exec said. And when anyone used rank, it meant the issue was taken very seriously.

Guru then turned to his WSO. “Let's eat.” They went into his office, and she took out the food. “Well?”

“Two cheeseburgers with fries and Cole slaw,” she said. “Lemonade to drink.”

“Bison burgers or beef?”

“They didn't say,” Goalie nodded. “The Marines didn't fix these. And those F-20 jocks seem to like those Tri-tip sandwiches.”

Guru shook his head. “Their death wish is their command,” he said. “Let's eat.”

They ate, and as they did, they talked about the morning's missions. “More East Germans and Russians this afternoon?” Goalie asked.

Guru nodded. “Yep. Same drill as this morning.”

“Where are the Hogs?” She wanted to know. Hogs meant A-10s. Whose pilots lived, breathed, and did everything CAS.

“Some are around, but the rest are busy further west.”

They had just finished eating when the CO's staff sergeant secretary knocked on his door. “Yeah?”

“Major, General Yeager's coming to see you,” She said.

“Guess I'd better be going,” Goalie said. “Is this about Frank?”

“Let's hope so.”

The door opened again, and General Yeager came into the CO's office. He saw the CO and his GIB stand up, and he said, “As you were.”

“General,” Major Wiser said. “What can we do for you?”

“I'd like to talk privately, Major,” Yeager said in his West Virginia drawl. “It's about a certain officer you mentioned last night.”

“Guess I'd be going, then,” Goalie said. “Sir?”

“Lieutenant,” Yeager said.

“One moment. Check on the rest of our flight-and that includes Dave Golen and Flossy. They've been with us all morning, and chances are, they're still going to be with us. If everyone's eaten, get them to the briefing room, and have Kara find out when we're going again.”

“Will do, Major,” Goalie said. “General?”

“Have a back seat ride in the D model, Lieutenant. I know you WSOs aren't that keen on the -20, for good reason. Think of it as a sneak preview of the F-15E,” Yeager told Goalie. “If you don't mind some advice.”

She smiled. “I'll pass it to the other WSOs, General,” Goalie said. Then she left the office, closing the door behind her.

“General,” Major Wiser said. “I take it you want to see Major Frank Carson's file?”

“You read my mind, Major,” Yeager replied. “Got a formal request to join the F-20 program right here.” The General threw a piece of paper on the CO's desk.

“Well, sir,” the CO nodded as he went to get Carson's 201 File and flight record. He opened the file cabinet and found what he was looking for. “You're not going to like it.”

Yeager looked at him, then sat down at the CO's desk. “Hope you don't mind my borrowing your desk, Major.” He took the files from the Major.

“Not at all, sir.”

General Yeager opened the 201 File and read it. And Major Wiser noticed a scowl on Yeager's face as he read the material. “Major? If this had been West Virginia, that Wing Commander at Elmendorf would have been justified in getting a shotgun and giving this guy an ass load of buckshot. Or marching him and his daughter down to the Chaplain for a twelve-gauge nuptial.”

“General, they still do that?” Major Wiser asked.

“Once in a while,” Yeager replied. “Now I know why this Flossy Jenkins has this stare at Carson in the Officer's Club.”

“Yes,sir. She's got the 'Don't fuck with me look'. Uh, sir...”

“And if that stare happened to be daggers, he'd be bleeding out,” Yeager observed. “Have you.....?”

Guru nodded. “Sir, he has taken his last airman to bed, and he's on notice. Shape up by New Year's Eve, or he's sent packing. My only problem with that is that I'd be inflicting him on a fellow officer who'd be wondering what he's done to deserve Carson arriving.”

Yeager nodded. “Unfortunately, that's the case with these things. Had my share of these clowns back in WW II. Either West Pointers or Ivy Leaguers who thought they knew everything. And they wouldn't listen when they were told about other ways of getting things done.”

“General, he's the same thing. General Tanner and Colonel Rivers both have put letters in his file expressing their....exasperation with the Major.”

“So I see,” Yeager said, shaking his head. “He does look good on paper, but his attitude, and peacetime mentality two years into a war. I'll ask know: why haven't you transferred him?”

Major Wiser shook his head. “Sir, two reasons. First, Colonel Rivers said in a note he left for me just in case I got the squadron, to give Carson a chance to turn over a new leaf and shape up. He may be doing that now, but I'll wait and see if it holds. Second? The two of us have a history, and if I did send him packing, he could go to JAG and claim retaliation.”

“Not surprised, Major,” said Yeager sympathetically. “Let's see his flight record.”

Major Wiser handed the General Carson's flight record. “You won't like it, sir.”

Yeager nodded as he read the file. “Flight lead, then he lost it?” The General asked as he read further. '”Six crews in his flight shot out from under him?”

Nodding, the CO said, “Yes, sir. After the sixth, Colonel Rivers busted him down to element lead and he's been there ever since. Three of those crews lost were his wingmen, by the way.”

General Yeager read through the rest of the file. “Well, he does look good on paper, which is probably why he was sent to this squadron.” He shook his head. “If it wasn't for the need for warm bodies in cockpits, he'd be behind a desk somewhere.”

“Sir, you're not the only one to say that,” Major Wiser said.

Yeager nodded, then closed the file. “Major, I'll let him know the night before we leave, and that's in three days. But I can tell you now: any orientation flight will be his first-and last-ride in one of my airplanes. He's not going into the program.”

“Yes, sir,” replied the Major. “Well, then. That's that.”

“It is,” Yeager agreed. “Now...” He was interrupted by a knock on the door. “Come on in!”

The office door opened and it was Kara. “Guru-oops, sorry, General,” she said. “Major, we've got a mission. They want us wheels up in fifteen minutes.”

“Back to work,” Major Wiser said. “General?” He saw Yeager nod. “Okay, Kara? Get everyone geared up. We going as a four-ship or six?”

“Six,” came the reply.

Guru nodded. “All right. Tell everybody to meet at 512. Get going.”

“I'm gone,” she said. “General,” Kara nodded, then she went to notify the rest of the flight.

Major Wiser turned to Yeager. “General, if you'll excuse me, I've got somewhere to be and business to take care of.”

“Get going, Major. We'll talk later. Just try and bring everyone back.” Yeager told him.

“Do my best, sir,” Major Wiser said. “No guarantees in this business.”

“As I'm well aware,” nodded the General. “Get going.”

Major Wiser snapped a salute, then went to gear up. When he came out of the Men's Locker Room, he found Goalie waiting outside, all set to go. “You ready?” He asked.

“We're back in the saddle,” his GIB replied. “Time to go to work.”

Both went out and headed to 512's revetment. They found the rest of the flight, not just the other three usual crews, but Dave Golen and Flossy's crews as well. “Guru,” Golen said. “Time to get back in the game?”

“It is,” Guru said. “Okay, same drill as this morning. We check in with AWACS, then they hand us off to Tampa.” Tampa was the EC-130 ABCCC command plane that controlled CAS missions. “After that, they give us a FAC.”

“And if we don't get a FAC?” Sweaty asked.

“There's a few targets we can go to instead,” Guru reminded them. “Weather's still the same, as are bailout areas. Assume the MiGs are still active. If they're running? Let them run. Mark's flight after their second run had a pair of MiG-23s try and lure them within range of an SA-8 battery. So be careful.”

“Got you, Boss,” Hoser replied. “Usual on the radio?”

The CO nodded. “Call signs between us, mission code to AWACS and other parties. Now, we'll be at this rest of the afternoon. Any other questions?”

Kara nodded, as did Flossy, who said, “This is shaping up to be a brawl.”

“She took my question,” Kara laughed. “But she's right.”

“It is,” Guru nodded. “Russians moved in a division to help the East Germans, and First Cav, 11th Airborne, and 3rd ACR are giving these chumps a good 'Welcome to Texas.' So that's what's up. Any other questions?” Heads shook no. “All right, time to go,” the CO said, clapping his hands. “Let's hit it.”

The crews headed for their aircraft, and Guru and Goalie found Sergeant Crowley, the Crew Chief, waiting. He snapped a salute. “Major,” Crowley said. “And Lieutenant. Five-Twelve's ready for you.”

“Thanks,Sergeant,” Major Wiser replied. He and Goalie did a quick walk-around, then mounted the aircraft. After getting strapped in, they did a quick preflight in the cockpit. “If I had my way, I'd leave this to the Hog drivers.”

“You're not the only one, thinking that way,” Goalie said as she went through the checklist. “They busy?”

“Some are around, but most of 'em are further west,” Guru said. “And that's all they told me.. Ejection seat armed top and bottom.”

“Same here. Preflight checklist complete.”

“Time for engine start,” Guru said. He gave a thumbs-up to his CC, and Sergeant Crowley gave the “Start engines” signal. One, then both, J-79 engines were soon up and running, Once the run-up was finished, it was time to taxi. “Tower, Corvette Flight with six, requesting taxi and takeoff instructions.”

“Corvette Lead, Tower,” the controller replied. “Clear to taxi to Runway Three-three Charlie. You are number two in line. Hold prior to the active.”

“Roger, Tower. Corvette Lead is rolling.” Guru said. He gave another thumbs-up to his Crew Chief, and Sergeant Crowley motioned to the ground crew, who pulled the chocks away from the wheels, then he gave the “Taxi” signal to the pilot.

Guru taxied 512 out of the revetment, then he taxied towards the runway. The flight was right behind a Marine F-4 flight, and after they taxied for takeoff, it was Corvette Flight's turn. The flight taxied into the holding area, where the armorers removed the weapon safeties, and after the Marines took off, it was their turn. “Tower, Corvette Flight requesting taxi for takeoff.”

“Corvette Flight, Tower. Clear to taxi for takeoff,” the tower controller said. “Winds are two-six-eight for five.”

“Roger, Tower.” Guru replied. He taxied 512 onto the runway, and Kara followed right behind in 520. He glanced over at their Five O'clock, and saw Kara's bird tucked in position. Both crews gave the thumbs-up, then it was time. “Canopy coming down.” He pulled his canopy down and locked, it. Goalie did the same, and so did Kara and Brainiac. “Tower, Corvette Lead requesting clear for takeoff.”

As usual, there was no reply from the Tower, other than a green light. Clear for takeoff.

Guru didn't reply to the tower, but he told Goalie. “Time to go.”

“Ready,” Goalie said.

“Let's go.” He ran his throttles to full power, released his brakes, and 512 rolled down the runway and into the air. Kara was right with him in 520, right in with her flight leader. Then it was Sweaty's and Hoser's turn, and right behind them were Dave Golen and Flossy. The six-ship formed up, then headed south for their tanker rendezvous.

Old USMC Adage