View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 11:55 AM

Default Ferminatation and canning

Canning and pickling also fermentation are great old school ways to preserve vegetables and fruits. My relatives from KY (who have since passed) use to can and ferment stuff for the winter or when they had excess. Kimchi, Saurkraut are some of the few things that come to mind, they would also pickle just about anything including eggs. Vinegar can easily be made and stored and I am sure salvaging jars and those who layed in supplies (preppers, religious groups, etc) would have laid in canning and preserving supplies. Also mild fermentation can be used to make water safe to drink. Also dry canning comes to mind. If you look at the LDS church they have their own canneries and food distribution system. Many of them would have had the skills and knowledge as well as possible equipment to pass on to the younger members. Many of the Appalachian folks still have the skills and any survivors would have passed these on as well. I could see canning jars being a serious commodity and also fermentation crocks as well. Something they would not take for granted. Salt could be problematic at times. The salt mines would become very valuable and a definite commodity for trade and barter.
Just food for thought.