Thread: French Orbat
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Thinking some more about Soviet nuclear strikes on France..

Firstly, I confess that I have no clue what canon says about France specifically...I do recall that there is mention of non belligerent nations being attacked (wasn't there specific mention of Venezuela?)

However, France would be the only non belligerent nation that would have the ability to rspond in kind if attacked with nuclear weapons.

What I'm suggesting, therefore, is whether it would be likely that the Soviets would not attack France, in the knowledge that a direct attack would invite French nuclear retaliation and possibly French entry in to the War on the side of NATO? Which would mean that not only would Marseille survive unscathed, but so would Toulon and the other places mentioned?

Alternatively, if you want to stick with France being attacked, perhaps Marseille survives as a result of negotiation between the French and the Soviets to stop attacking each other before Marseille is targetted?

Either way, I agree with Paris not being attacked. Quite apart from anything else, belligerent nations might find it useful to have a major neutral capital intact should they ever want to sit down and negotiate an end to the War.

Like your thoughts on the French force in Quebec...would obviously make it much easier for the French Government to plausibly deny interfering in Canadian domestic issues if only volunteer formations are present...same prinicple as the USA Eagle Squadrons in the 1940 Royal Air Force or the Flying Tigers in China.

Interesting points on France...surely a much mentioned but rarely studied aspect of T2K...