View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 10:27 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I guess I'd have to ask WHY there is an "ammo dice" mechanic at all? Are we as gamers getting so lazy that we cannot keep track of basic supplies in lieu of a dice mechanic in a game where "resource management" is one of the key features? That seems like some lazy game design to me.
In general I have to say "Yes".
It appears that many gamers today do not want to do any book-keeping (or at least, they want it to the bare minimum). Keeping track of consumable supplies like food, water, ammo, fuel, etc. etc. is not something they want to bother with and allegedly, some players have complained that such book-keeping interferes with playing the game!

This came up most recently for me when I was part of Clockwork Publishing's revival of Dark Conspiracy. I provided some optional rules for body armour degradation and was told, in essence, they weren't likely to be needed because players do not want that level of granularity.
Oh the irony...
The fact that a player/GM of that specific game was providing those optional rules was completely lost on them.

That was not the only instance, when it came to the forms used to keep track of ammunition that were provided in 1st & 2nd editions of Dark Conspiracy, we were told that they probably would not be included because the chief designers felt they were not wanted by players. Ammo expenditure should, apparently, be managed by the GM if the GM is concerned about it, (as if the GM doesn't already have enough work to do!)

So "yes" many of todays players are so damned lazy that they expect to do little and still be rewarded for it.