View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Thanks for the information. I find it very encouraging that younger people are interested in older games (it seems to replicate what I have seen with a lot of 20- and 30-somethings and music, not content with music of their era, they've been listening to music from their parent's era).
Whenever I run either Original D&D or 1st Ed. AD&D (the only D&D games I really enjoy, although sometimes Holmes or Moldvay edited Basic D&D scratch the itch), the games are enthusiastically received.

Now, I doubt I would run Twilight:2000 again as a con event - not because I didn't have fun (I did) and not because they players didn't have fun (they did), but because of the "scale" of T2k. It is a game that lends itself to weeks of exploring, hard-fought battles, etc., whereas D&D games can take place in a "dungeon" and the players can skate along the rails as it were. Although I suppose if I ran The Black Madonna, that's a dungeon crawl in T2k...

If the demand were there, though, yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Some observations about the 1e rules for T2k that I'm sure have been discussed over the nearly 40 years since their release...80% of the game is easy-peasy. It's OD&D levels of role-vs-roll play, when interacting with the environment. Truly difficult things, the very easy to learn skill system (easy: your skill x2 is the target, average, your skill, difficult, half your skill) handles quite nicely.

The 20% that are fiendishly hard is: character generation (although I found an Excel spreadsheet that lets me generate characters, I still have to do the 4d6-4 and/or slight and favor stats but otherwise it does everything except buying skills for you), and combat resolution. I mean, goddamn the 1e combat system is obtuse. I like it - but it's obtuse.